Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Olympics

I spent the majority of my Saturday watching the Olympics. This was my first time really watching the Olympics since 1992. Back in '92 I was obsessed with the Olympics, watching as much as I could before bedtime. For the first time in my 10 year old life I felt I had a calling... to be an Olympic athlete. My only problem was that I wasn't particularly good at any sport, in fact I was exceptionally bad at sports. But I didn't let that squelch my dream.

That summer at Camp, I participated in the Camp Olympics. I'm pretty sure I competed in all events, relay race, running, swimming, etc. But the event I really shined in was the trampoline. I even could do tricks on the trampoline. One of the Olympic events at Camp was jumping, sitting down, and then standing up again on the trampoline. They timed us to see how many jump/sit/stands each of us could get in a minute. I seem to remember getting around 50 (not to brag or anything). This example of sheer athletic ability earned me a bronze "metal" in the Girls 9-10 bracket. I loved my bronze metal and decided that I could be an Olympic athlete in trampoline.

My Olympic dream was destroyed when my Parents informed me that the trampoline was not an Olympic event. I was determined to start a letter writing campaign to make sure my "sport" was recognized. A few weeks later I got a Nintendo and stoped caring about the Olympics.

Editors Note: I recently found out that trampoline IS an olympic sport. Do not worry, I am researching how to get myself into the 2012 Olympics in London. Stay tuned...

No comments: