Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Prelude.

The year after college I lived with my parents (more about them later) and I worked relatively close by. Summer of 2004 I took a job with a firm about an hour and half from where my parents live. To cut down on my commute, I moved in with my 90 year-old Grandmother (aka Nana). Nana was an awesome roommate, she liked naps, knitting and would make dinner every night. But Nana also loved TV shows like Judge Judy, Matlock and Murder She Wrote, which she would watch at deafening volumes.

Anywho, without another TV to watch, I was forced to read. I started reading 4 or 5 books a week. The books, all geared towards 20 or 30 something women seemed to center around the same plot. Girl is unlucky in love, Mr. Wonderful turns out to be quirky neighbor, new guy at work, surfer dude chick meets on vacation, etc. they fall in love and live happily ever after.

I kept hoping for a book without a Prince Charming, as single girl without any prospects it just made me feel worse about my situation. Couldn't someone write a book about a single independent girl who navigates through life with the help of great friends, alcohol and celebrity gossip?


Well, I hope to write a book to fill this hole in the market! I am starting this blog to help my creative writing. Please feel free to leave comments or provide criticism... as long as it isn't too critical.

1 comment:

_-*Kristen*-_ said...

There is a lot of romance books out there. Its a preference to most people. I've acatually gotten into them recently. They're a great way to get into another world.